Process for PLA
The following is a general overview of the PLA process. Your local college will provide specific guidance.
- The student must be admitted at the institution and meet all requirements for the program in which course credit for prior learning is being sought.
- The student must make application to the institution for prior learning through the PLA Specialist.
- The PLA Specialist will guide the student through the process of developing evidence and will be the point of contact for all questions concerning PLA. Examples of evidence include: Certifications, licensures, and demonstrations of skills possessed.
- An instructor will evaluate the student’s documented work and training experiences in the program field to determine if the student should be considered for PLA credit.
- If the student is deemed a candidate for PLA, the instructor will administer any evaluations necessary to determine the student’s level of expertise in the course(s) before recommending the course credit award.