Ala.Code 1975 § 16-3-7. Meetings.
The State Board of Education shall hold a regular annual meeting on the second Tuesday in July at the office of the Department of Education in Montgomery, at which meeting one of its members shall be elected vice-president. Such other meetings may be held as the needs of public education may require, on dates to be set by the board in official session, by the president or by the State Superintendent of Education on written request of a majority of the board members. The rules generally adopted by deliberative bodies for their government shall be observed.
Ala.Code 1975 § 16-60-111.4.
Powers of State Board of Education
The State Board of Education, upon recommendation of the Chancellor, shall be authorized to:
- Make rules and regulations for the government of each junior college and trade school.
- Prescribe for the junior colleges and trade schools the courses of study to be offered and the conditions for granting certificates, diplomas and/or degrees.
- Appoint the president of each junior college and trade school, each president to serve at the pleasure of the board.
- Direct and supervise the expenditure of legislative appropriations of each junior college and trade school.
- Prescribe qualifications for faculty and establish a salary schedule and tenure requirements for faculty at each junior college and trade school.
- Accept gifts, donations, and devises and bequests of money and real and personal property for the benefit of junior colleges and trade schools or any one of them.
- Disseminate information concerning and promote interest in junior colleges and trade schools among the citizens of Alabama.
Ala.Code 1975 § 16-60-111.6
Board required to delegate decision-making authority to Chancellor
Except where otherwise clearly indicated herein the board will delegate to the Chancellor, authority for the Chancellor to act and make decisions concerning the management and operation of the junior colleges and trade schools. The president of each junior college and trade school shall be responsible to the Chancellor for the day-to-day operation of each school.